Entrepreneurship is never a day journey, but rather a journey of thousand years. It is a life with posterity in-view. Remember in one of our previous articles, we described an entrepreneur as a visionary. Hence, an understanding of Vision and Time is vital to achieving good success in business.
By definition according to Businessdictionary, Vision is an aspirational description of what an organization would like to achieve or accomplish in the mid-term or long-term future. It encompasses the where, who, what and the how of the future.
It is the declaration of any organization objectives.
Vision helps define the goals by giving you a framework to evaluate those goals.
Your vision should aim to answer questions like:
- Why do we exist?
- What would the business be known for in 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80years of existence?
- What milestones would the business celebrate in the next 10,20,30,40, 50, 60, etc
Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in an apparently irreversible succession from the past, present and the future definition according to wikipedia.
It is often regarded as the fourth dimension alongside with the three spatial dimension.
Hence, it’s importance that every entrepreneur understands his time and season in business and invest massively into each season as required.
Most people spend time investing only in their vision,getting clouded by the excitement of the new adventure ignoring the significance of TIME in the fulfillment of the vision.
For instance, in Europe there are four main seasons; winter, spring, autumn and summer and every season has its significance. The same apply to entrepreneur in his entrepreneurship journey. There are several seasons he is going to experience and an understanding of each season would grant him a good grip and stamina.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. In business, there are 5 phases of business cycle.
Lack of the understanding of each of this season is why most young businesses die in their primitive age.
A brief look into the Story of Jack Ma, the founder of Alibaba Group (A renowned e-commerce company in China). He was associated with so many failures at the early stage of his life but was keen to be successful and make china internationally known right from the onset started by setting goals to learn to speak English apart from his native Chinese language, this fetched him an opportunity to know about the internet and then led to creation of an internet business in a country with no internet accessibility.
Here a few things to note
- Be clear on what you want to accomplish.
- Always ensure that you are not controlled by circumstances, take charge of your own life i.e. be responsible for your own actions
- Constantly make achievable goals and add a time frame.
- Give room for self-evaluation periodically and be honest in your evaluation
- You have all it takes to achieve the dream.
- Don’t snap at every offers, Analyze well if it fits into the bigger picture before diving right in.
Failure is not the end.